Wednesday, November 12, 2008

First Overseas Race!

Race: Denver Marathon
Category: Half Marathon
Date: 19th October 2008, 7.00am
Venue: Civic Center Park, Denver Downtown
Distance: 21.1 km/13.1 miles (Click here for the course map)
Why this Race:
My company sent me for trainings in Denver, how could I miss the golden chance?

Warning: This is a very LENGTHY report!

I thought the Singapre International Marathon would be my maiden international race. Just happened that my company sent me to Denver for 2 weeks to attend trainings, the last day of the training was on 17th Oct 2008, so I took the opportunity to do the debut international race in Denver Marathon!

I signed up the Half Marathon category, the registration fee was USD85 (~RM320). My colleague asked me how could I spend a few hundred bucks to torture myself? I do not know how to answer, I think it is a runner's dream to run in every city!

Unfortunately I was sicked for 2 weeks before I departed to Denver, I had been almost sedentary for 2 weeks. I thought I could slowly gain back the lost fitness by doing some trainings in the new place, but I was defeated by the weather and altitude.

Frankly, I was deadly regret of signing up the race. One weekend before the race, the temperature dropped to 0°C and it was even forecast chance of precipitation. I certainly missed the snow for 10 years, but this was not the right time to snow. I should have done more homeworks in studying the weather and other stuff before signing up. Luckily I met my colleague's wife who told me I could get clothes in the Ross at bargained price. At the end I found a long sleeve synthetic fiber sports T-shirt at only USD9!

After the terribly cold weekend, the temperature was risen up a bit. It was still less than 10°C in the morning, however it could reach 15°C to 20°C in the afternoon. I wore the new long sleeve sports-T and my usual short sleeve sports-T at the outside, together with a long track bottom. I could hide my fingers under the sleeves so my fingers would not swell anymore after exposing to wind for long period of time. I could also wipe my nose with the long sleeves too (LOL). I felt good running outside now!

I moved to the hotel in downtown after the training on Friday since the race was in the downtown area. I picked up the race kit after checking in. I was a little bit embarrased seeing all other participants seemed very fit, I just hoped I could finish the race in less than 3 hours, the experience in Adidas KOTR had caused me phobia.

I wanted to thank another colleague from Mexico, he had driven me many hours through the Rocky Mountains National Park on Saturday. I had a chance to rest my legs while enjoying the beautiful view of the scenic Rocky Mountains.

Here it came the big day! I woke up early, had banana and bread as breakfast, put on the long sleeve sports-T, then my company running-T and the track bottom. I only tied the timing chip on the shoe last night, felt so excited I would be timed very accurately for the first time.

The starting point was only 5 minutes walk away from the hotel, I reached there at about 6.30am. Although the temperate was only around 7 to 8°C, thanks to my new outfit and the big crowd, I didn't feel cold at all.

I looked at pace marker, it started at 6 min/mile for the elites. I believed my pace was around 12 min/mile (well, gotta adjust myself to the English measurement temporarily), so I proceeded to the back. Ohh.. it stopped at 10 min/mile, then the last marker was..... FAST WALKER! I blushed.

I saw only very few Asian faces. I knew noone and I am not the type of person who will take initiatives to start conversation, I just kept slient in the entire event. However I still enjoyed the atmosphere very much, I saw many runners hung photos or wrote sensible words at their back, they were running for someone they care and love. I also noticed some prepared to walk the race, bravo to them of taking up the challenge!

Since I was at the back of the pack, it took me about 5 min to step on the mat which sensed the timing chip. As usual, I started slowly, I controlled my pace for the entire course and would not let others affecting me.

Although the altitude is high in this city, the course is almost flat with very little elevation. I must say the weather was so nice, not too cold or too hot. If I had started training much earlier, I should have taken the full marathon instead in this perfect day!

Along the way, I saw a lot of spectators waiting at the roadside for their family members or friends who participated in the run. They were very supportive and would cheer for others too! I saw quite a lot of Mommy runners, their husband and kids were there to support them. They would stop and kiss their babies and kids before moving on :)

To my suprise, I saw the 5hrs pacer at my back at the U-turn around 8.5th mile, well, I was in pretty good shape. 1 mile is about 1.6km, so 21.1km is 13.1 miles, I found it was easier to accomplish by following miles, because there were fewer numbers... purely psychological effect.

There were so many drink stations, total of 8 for the half marathon course, every station had adequate supply of Gatorade and plain water. I consumed 2 PowerBar Gel, and kept the Clif Shot I took from the station, since I had not tried this food before.

I kept running, slower at the second half but still quite consistent in overall. I sprinted the last 150m, yes, I still had energy to sprint! I clocked 2:27:18, I felt so happy to be able to finish in sub 2.5 hours! May not be impressive at all for others, but a spectacular result for me :P

There was plenty of food and drinks after the race. I returned to the hotel with full stomach and a big pack of unopened chips. I no longer felt regret, infact I felt so lucky of signing up this race! Although USD85 was a bit steep for average Malaysian, but it was worth it.

If I really have to find something to complain, there were only two trivial things: 1. The slower runners had to stop at one busy road by the traffic police, 2. I was hoping to get a synthetic fiber T-shirt since the registration fee was USD85, but it was sold separately at USD30!


The packet pick-up process was so fast and organized!


The packet pick-up day also featured an Expo


The runners wrote why they run!


The bib had my name printed!
But it was according to my name on passport :(
* Do you see the "Gear Check" portion? See next photo



The goodie bag itself was also the official bag to check in our stuff on the race day.
Put the stuff in the bag, tear the "Gear Check" portion from the bib and paste it on the bag. Then hand the bag to the personnel at the starting point before the race starts. Very organized and professional!

The T-shirt and the goodies

We can fill up the emergency information at the back of the bib.
I told you they are very professional!

First time with the timing chip :)

I know I look funny...


People mountain people sea at the starting line

Spectators cheering the runners at finishing line

Big bag of chips, banana and bagel (but it was hard like rock)

Fresh apple from McDonalds

Gear bag collection - please allow me to say again: Very organized!


Expo and free sample food from sponsors:
That's why there were so many people

Dessert and chocolate dip from one sponsor... walaou eh~~

Hotdog from another sponsor!

p.s You see, all the calories I burned in the run were recovered immediately!

Check the chip result immediately


The most important thing, the medal!

Also check me out in action at http://www.brightroom.com/go.asp?43807365!

p.s. I must write the race report right after the race, otherwise I will procrastinate...

5 comments:

ahMing said...

wah seh .. so many foods to eat one ah ? Doris Jie Jie . Zeng woooo......

Anonymous said...

2:27 is better than me lah! Congrats! What an experience!

慧沁 Wai Sum said...

interesting race!
I think there is a type in the distance, it should be 21.1km / 13.1 miles?

doris 桃利思 said...

sohkeong,
yalor... until now i still couldn't stop eating... :(

haza,
all i could say is, it was a perfect day to run!

waisum,
paiseh, paiseh... really getting old liao

Gaby said...

u denver run is nice...i so jealous that u can run at oversea..don know when i have the chances..anyway waiting for u penang bridge report too ^^