Sunday, June 05, 2011

Volunteering in NB15K 2011

This was the second time I volunteered in a race. My first experience was NB15K 2010, I helped in the water station at the finishing line. This time I requested to be on the "field", helping in the 2nd water station among the total of three.

15 volunteers were assigned, but only 7 turned up. Luckily the group leader had brought some helping hands at later time, so we have 6 people in the 2nd water station including Ivy. This station was at about 7.5th km of the route, it served both water and Gatorade to 2100 participants of the race.

I was standing at back of the "wall" of cartons of Gatorade, acting like a "control center" LOL. I opened the Gatorade cans (sometimes using the car key to help lifting the metal cap), collected and threw the empty cans to the waste bag, and replenished the paper cups... everything necessary so that the other two girls could focus on pouring the drinks into the cups for the runners.

I didn't expect this little job could be so challenging especially when the sea of middle pack runners had arrived. I was so busy and focus, I missed many running friends unless some of them had called my name. Great run and good job to all of you!

One lesson learned: Place the ice bin (which looked like a waste bin) strategically, otherwise many would think it is a waste bin and throw the paper cups and power gel wrappings into it!

I was also curious whether St John had not allowed the medic to accept any food/drink when on duty? The two little teenage medics were so persistent to refuse the Gatorade we offered to them LOL!

It was indeed a good experience and I had learned a lot. It made me realize the hard work behind a race, I would appreciate more and complain less next time LOL. I would also like to thank the other volunteers who had helped so professionally, the second water station would "collapse" without you!

I donated the RM30 allowance plus the RM60 refund fee from ENR to Hospis. I shall do more voluntary work in the future!



 Photos by Lily and Ivy

No comments: