Saturday, August 18, 2007

We have done all we can

I brought my father for CT Scan on Thursday. The result was discouraging, the main lump in the right lung had grown 30 to 40%, and those in liver and lympth node had also grown bigger.

Chemotherapy has 3 lines of medication, namely first line, second line and third line. The responsiveness of first line medications is better, but if any of these medications does not help help to reduce size of the tumour, the patient will have to switch to another medication of the same line. When all medications of the same line are tried, the patient will have to try second line medications and then third line, and usually the responsiveness is much lower down the line.

My father has already taken second line chemo medication before this CT Scan. As mentioned earlier about the growth of the tumours, this medication did not bring any effect at all. There is another medication in second line which is more costly, but the doctor said that it won't help either.

My father has now moved on to third line medication which is in oral form, one tablet a day. Each tablet is RM220 and it has to be taken for one month. As we know the responsiveness of third line medication is the lowest, if it is not working again, there is no more chemo medication we can try. To be frank, we will just have to "wait for the fate to come" as in Cantonese speaking (等运到).

Anyway, we have no regret of going thru all the chemotherapies. I am quite certain that without chemotherapy, my father would have left much earlier. It is at least a more promising last resort for us compare to all other ridiculous solutions like bomoh, Chinese Dr Quack, Mexican cancer clinic, "magical liquid", etc. However, my father was too optimistic (or naive?), he thought chemo could buy him at least 3 to 4 years. I have done some researches, I know with tumour at this size, nothing is going to help much, we just can do the best we can within our budget and condition of the patient.

We will see how it goes. The next CT Scan will be on 17th Sept, exactly one month after completing third line chemo medication. If it is not helping, I will go and get rodent tuber, which is well known as Chinese chemo medication, for my father. Of course it is not going to cure, I just hope it can reduce any potential pain and let my father go in peace.





30 tables X RM220
This small tube of medication costs RM6600

No comments: