Monday, October 26, 2009

PIA it!

Race: Mizuno Wave Run
Date: 25th October 2009 Sunday, 7.30am
Venue: UPM, Serdang
Distance: 11km
Website: http://www.pacesetters.com.my/mizuno.htm
Why this race:
1. Pacesetters member mar, must support!
2. It seems like everyone is going for this race, regardless of regular or casual runners!

I missed the last year event even though I had signed up due to attending a training in overseas. This year I made sure I would not miss it so I registered early in Pacesetters HQ. Unfortunately the receipt book was not in the HQ that time, I was given the photocopy of my entry form with a special 'PAID' stamp. When my friend helped me to pick up the bib, the receipt book was not available again and I had to pick up at another time. I think it is time for Pacesetters to get more computerized. It also looked quite messy during the bib collection in Bukit Aman, but luckily there were lots of volunteers so the overall experience was still ok.

When the venue was moved from Bukit Tunku to UPM this year, I thought the route should be flatter and easier, I was totally wrong! Later after the race I learned from a blog that the word "wave" actually means undulating terrains, so it is expected the route for any Mizuno Wave Run is always hilly!

Actually I do not like big races especially in Malaysia. The starting area is usually not arranged according to different running pace. The result is massive human traffic jam at the first couple of km. I tried to minimize the zig-zag movement as much as possible when overtaking people to conserve energy. The luck was not at my side, a big stone was stuck into the sole of my right shoe at around 2.5km. I tried to remove it from hand but not successful, so I just lived with it for the remaining 8.5km with the extra scratching sound effect along the way :P

I had a target of 73 min this time. From all the double hill trainings recently, I knew and was confident that I could sustain the distance even though pushing from the very beginning. It was said the route in UPM was scenic but I had no time to admire, I was very focus in running. I wanted to give it all out and let see how far I could go.

It is always fun to set a target to overtake, my first target was a female runner who was also wearing company running shirt. Her company, well, could be considered half a competitor to my company :) She slowed to walking couple of times when going up hills, that was my chance to "sapu" her cleanly with no return. Later I also managed to overtake two "secret opponents" of mine... what a great satisfaction!

The real challenge started after the flat road at 8/9km. The scenery looked familiar... then I suddenly realized I was repeating the first 2km route but with opposite direction. I started to feel dreadful because I knew how hilly it was in the first 2km. It was relaxing running down a very steep hill in the beginning... and now I had to climb it to get back to the stadium! The last hill was really a killer but I was proud that I didn't give up even though my strides became shorter and shorter, and almost no difference from walking :P

The last sprint on the track was fantastic, and I "sapu" one more runner again! I made a strong finish and was given the medal card with the position of 51! Wowww, this really exceeded my expectation! I hope this is real because I have heard the guys were not receiving the position card in order. Anyway, some people have chosen to run slower in order to get the shoe bag instead of medal, so I shouldn't be overly proud :P Again, I was so excited and forgot to stop my watch, my finishing time should be around 70:30, yes, I have met the target!

I really "pia" myself out this time. Already looking forward to next year, hopefully with the same route, it will be a test to check whether I have improved :)


Thanks Victor for the photo! I think I don't look too fat in this photo :P

4 comments:

iamsyah said...

one more for the book... congrats! and you look good too. the weight loss is working fine now

doris 桃利思 said...

hahaha... thx!

LAI said...

Snapped yr photo too.加油!
http://picasaweb.google.com/qqlaisk/MizunoWaveRun09PartIII833am844am#5396959214162872738

doris 桃利思 said...

haha... i actually already downloaded from your site at earlier time, haha

btw, thx for the photo! this is one of the very few photos of mine in quite "stylish" look~~ hehehehe