Sunday, November 01, 2009

Discrimination

I could be overly sensitive, being an obese runner does experience some forms of discrimination.

1. Standard Chartered KL Marathon 2009 made the launching in a cafe located in Pavilion. A guy was distributing the entry form to the people who walked into the cafe, except me.

2. Still SCKLM 2009, I queued up at the 42km line to collect the race kit. A personnel walked to me and seemed like "checking" whether I was at the correct line, but not other runners.

3. When lining up to collect the medal in Mizuno Wave Run 2009, again, a personnel approached me to "check" on me, but not the other runners.

I don't know I should be proud or ashamed.

8 comments:

子扬 said...

That's of course what should be proud of!

doris 桃利思 said...

hey, how r u? :)

yeah... i think i should be proud of myself of coming to this far...

Anonymous said...

Trust me, I know how you feel. Shame on them for having only one impression of runners. I can count with the fingers of one hand the number of times I was taken seriously when I went to buy running shoes, when I have had like a dozen pairs since I started running. Nobody quite believes I actually run.

But let's take the chill pill and just enjoy running. And you, not every runner has the same discipline to log in your current mileage lah.

Julin Julai said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Julin Julai said...

Yep, I admire you for logging in those mileage everyday. If it were me, I'd muntah hijau.
Be proud!

doris 桃利思 said...

thx haza and julin! i understand everyone has some sorts of stereotypes crafted in mind, including myself. just want to blog it out to let people know that obese people do also "run", hahaha, though we need to be extra careful of our knees

dun know why i am logging this amount of mileage as i do not need to :P i think i have to attribute this to a new running buddy who is keen on running in the morning. when appointment is made, i can wake up. unfortunately she is going to US this week for 1.5 yr. i hope i can wake up in the future when i am alone :P

iamsyah said...

oh such discrimination! regardless you must continue and keep plugging away. don't let them get to you, ok

you be proud, I am the one who should be ashamed for lack of training for SCSM... :)

doris 桃利思 said...

thx syah! still a few more weeks to SCSM, do few more long runs before tapering should be fine :) most importantly is to enjoy it!