Sunday, February 07, 2010

My First Relay

Race: KL Masters City Day Relay 2010
Date: 31st January 2010
Venue: Bukit Jalil Sports Complext, Kuala Lumpur
Distance: 3 X 3km
Website: http://juewong.blogspot.com/2009/12/kl-masters-city-day-relay-2010.html
Why this race: Thought of trying out relay
Why NOT this race: Really bad organization!

The entry form mentioned the flag off time was 7am. I gotta standby for weekend support work from 10am onwards, so I thought I had plenty of time as I estimated we could finish before 8am. No... never trust running event SUPPORTED by FTAAA!

There was still no instructions nor directions at 7.30am. The race finally started at around 7.45am, but only Men Open and Mixed categories were started first. We had to wait most teams came back then only the rest of the categories could get started. At the end, the Women categories started after 8.30am, it was very hot already. We warmed up too early and the body had turned cool.

In addition, it was a mess at the baton passing area. The Organizer didn't block the area properly, everyone congesting the area and left a very narrow line for the runner to run. I heard an elite runner was tripped and fell down!

Furthermore, there was a dispute of Women categories 3rd and 4th placements (RM400 for 3rd position), we had to wait until almost 11am to get our medal even though our placement was only no. 7. Anyway, there were some good points. Food was offered and plenty of milo drinks!

Running shorter distance especially in a relay is a very different experience, have to 'pia' from beginning until the end! I was the last runner even though I was not the fastest. My teammate said because I gotta rush for the support work, so the strategy was to let me 'pia' as the final runner LOL! When I got the baton from my teammate, I felt I started out too fast because it was downhill, so I hold back a little. Some kids overtook me but soon they stopped to walk/run. I wondered whether it was necessary to have two water stations in this 3km route (someone everyone was in 'pia' mode), of course I skipped them.

I wanted to run as fast as I could, but that's all I could do. My strength is endurance (depends on situation :P), obviously not speed. There was no way to catch up the runner who was from the same category in front, so my 'pia' mode had cooled down a little. At the last 100m, I was being taken by a kid! What a shame... gotta lose more weight and train more LOL

Position: 7th
Time (team): 47:50
Time (me): ~15:40 / 5:14 min per km
* There is a source saying the distance was only 2.86km, so the pace would be 5:29, still sub 5:30 min LOL This should be my fastest speed so far... gambateh!

No comments: