Monday, August 16, 2010

A full marathon distance LSD training

*Paiseh... long time didn't write race report... so one shot write a long long one lar... XD

Sane people do not just simply sign up full marathon event and run it without preparation (Yes, there are some insane people like Mohan Marathon who has done 101 marathons to date, LOL with awe). I am no exception as I usually pick a race and train for 10 to 12 weeks or more, even though I am just a slow sub-6 marathoner and I will always feel the trainings are not sufficient each time before the race starts, LOL.

I have two full marathon events coming in end of October back to back with one week apart. I only started training in July and so far only did 3.5 LSD traings (0.5 ==> because I didn't manage to run 15 laps in KLCC to make up 19.5K and only did 12 laps). With so many shorter races before the month of Ramadhan, I am seriously looking forward to build up the mileage and slowly increase the LSD distance from 19/20K to eventually 30K+.

Suddenly this non-competive race popped up from no where. Some insane people want to just run 42KM at an outskirt place which features one of the favourite routes for cyclists. The River Jungle Marathon is a road run (all asphalt) even though it has misleading name that has caused some people not to sign up due to the fear of running on trails. It limits the number of particants to 50 and run through the kampung places at Ulu Langat, starting and ending at Police Station of Pekan Batu 18. Although it is non-competive event, the Organizer is pretty serious, they get sponsors, arrange support cars, inform traffic police, and even provide certificate and Finisher-T!

I always "con" myself with route descriptions of "scenic route", "beautiful scenery", etc ..., and also because of  my lifetime mission of "running in as many places as possible", so I signed up the "race", also thinking to take it as a LSD training. Hohhhh.... so quickly I advance to 42K LSD!! Frankly, I did feel regret few days before the race, well, I always feel regret when the date is approaching, LOL!

As the Organizer wants us to run slowly to enjoy the route, they make 5, 6 and 7 hours groups. Actually I do not need to be "restricted" to run slowly, I am already slow, LOL. I signed up the 6 hours group. I started as the "leading pack" of 6 hours group even though the pace was just like 7:15 to 7:30 per km. I was able to follow the first few runners from 6 hours group for about 3K, then the gap got widen, but I was still in the "top" 5 or 6 in 6 hours group until about 11K+ which I made about 1:25.

Again (I am stressing for the Organizer LOL), this is not truly a "race", there is no need to pia. I am happy with the slow but steady pace. I know I would not get a PB but I still want to achieve something. So I found a goal for myself which I had never acommplished in the previous 4 marathons: NO WALKING. Even though I would stop completely at every water station (i.e. the support car itself) at about 3/4K apart to hydrate and sometimes stretch the always-painful shoulder in longer distance run, but NO WALKING when moving forward. Even though the speed would be so slow and could be beaten by anyone with a leisure walk, still NO WALKING. I set the goal and promise.

Reached 20K at about 2:35, washed down a gel provided by the sponsor (the sponsor was so generous to provide 2 gels in the race!). The fun began here, we had to conquer 3K+ uphill continously (from 263ft to 903ft, 5.3%)! At a very very slow pace, probably the two feet were in the air for 0.000000000001 second only LOL, I "jogged" up the hill. At one point I stopped completely for about 15 seconds to drink water (yes, this was also the first time I carried a 500ml bottle for >42K!). Later there was a flip of moment that I stopped and wanted to walk, but in less than a second, I resumed the jog. Huhhh, NO WALKING.

I guess the cyclists have made themselves some distance marking on the hilly road. "2KM", "2KM PUSH", "3KM", "3KM PUSH", seems like the distance is marked at the beginning of each km and remind the cyclists to push when nearing the accomplishment of each km. I felt so relief when finally saw the "3.3KM REST" marking! When there is uphill, that means there is a downhill, yehh! Anyway, I didn't push too much and just maintain consistent, slow pace, not only my legs were quite tired already, it is also bad for the knees to run downhill too fast, I am still very much overweight (or more precisely, obese according to BIM Chart). It was foggy at some stretches (or did I reach the sky?), again my face was hanging with the silly smile whenever feeling the breeze, LOL.

After finishing the downhill, still another 16/17K to go. Passed by a very scenic lake view, unfortunately I didn't run with phone nor camera. Continued running (more appropriately, very slow jogging), faithfully stopped at each water stations and washed down another gel at about 32K mark. Ohh, I almost forgot to mention I was chased by dogs at 29/30K!

I really wanted to walk... but I had set the goal and promise! At some point I felt like I was a zombie repeating the slow, small steps to move forward. I was so desparately looking forward for each stone sign which shows how many km to Pekan Batu 18. I felt so frustrated after the 4K stone sign and failed to see the next one for a pretty long time (I remembered I didn't see the 3K one. The respective authority please correct this for the sake of poor runners, LOL!). A marathon is actually a mind game!

I almost wanted to give up, fortunately a volunteer came down from the support car and helped to pace me the last 1K+, finally I crossed the finishing line at the bridge! Well, actually there was no line on the bridge and I thought I had to run another 100m to the original starting point, so I looked a bit blur and forgot to smile to the photographers, LOL.

5:46:46, 42.44KM according to Jamie Pang's GPS watch, not exactly a decent timing, I still feel proud for NO WALKING! The finisher-T is so cool and is the best looking finisher-T I have so far! It is a great and well organized event by The Marathon Shop, BIG THANKS to all the very friendly and helpful volunteers!

3 comments:

iamsyah said...

good timing Doris!

I always look at awe you could run and run and run :)

doris 桃利思 said...

thx, Syah!!

just happen that you didn't see yet when i took breaks.... :P

Reza Ali said...

What a fantastic attitude you have Doris. Brilliantlah. Running is about having a great time and we determined whether we have a great time or not. Not other people.

And I like the way you write too...

Reza